- Community e-Consult Network
Improving communication, coordination, and efficiency
What are eConsults?
- Clinical consultations between a primary care provider (PCP) and a specialist conveyed electronically via a secure messaging interface
- Contain basic clinical consult questions along with any other relevant information such as chart notes, lab, and imaging results
- Carefully selected specialists review and respond with advice regarding diagnosis, treatment and management
- A novel collaboration of primary care practices, payers, state government, and academia led by the Community Health Center, Inc.
- Partners include: Community Health Center, Inc., Weitzman Institute, UConn Health Center, Penobscot Community Health Care of Maine, and select private practice groups across Connecticut
- CeCN will link primary care practices to specialty care providers
What are the benefits of eConsults?
- Increase in access to specialty care for medically underserved populations
- Improvements in efficiency, health outcomes, and quality
- Better communication and collaboration between primary care providers and specialists
Why are eConsults Important?
- The interface between medical specialists and PCPs is inefficient and often ineffective
- Poor communication results in duplicate testing, missing information, high cost, and increased patient risk